Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: 418B value

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member airboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 2nd, 2003
    Posts
    157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 418B value

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    I know some pedal steel players who like those

    Will put out feelers. I don't get around much, but have lightning fast internet.

    I agree, if you get 150 as is vs investing 200+ for a recone, selling as is makes a lot of sense. Your break even is gonna be close to 400...

    I hope I am not offensive, I just try to be really strict about accuracy...:coffeedrinker:

    Look at the bright side, as much as I screw up after close to 50 years in pro audio, novices got nuttin' to be ashamed about.:lol:
    Hi Old Guy,
    Seeing as how you're a geezer like me you'll understand how hard it is to take correction on things you never even said....especially on you're 60th birthday. I haven't been in the pro audio business for 50 years but I have been in the music business for that long.

    I put a pair of 418Bs in a dual Showman cabinet and ran it with an AB165 for years. They liked it just fine. No sweat on the speakers and they had a nice attack.

    Second, I never even came close to implying that all guitarists preferr 15" speakers. I implied (gotta be more precise in future) that IF a guitarist, say using a Vibrolux (again, have to qualify, not imply, ain't NO ROCKERS using a Vibrolux. Maybe the odd blues guy. And besides whatever kind of music is there besides country) he would almost surely use a D-130 rather than a 418B. Albert King used a Dual Showman with two D-130s for as long as I was aware. I saw him first time in 1967 at the Carosel Ballroom in San Francisco. Later re-named by Bill Graham as Fillmore West.

    Now, a small wager; you find me one out of a hundred either steelers OR others using 15" guitar speakers who prefer the 418B over the D-130 I'll eat any hat you send me. The reason I mentioned the E and K models is that people blow up D-130s all the time because the damn voice coil will exceed xmax and fry while they try to figure out what happened to the sound. Or they just hook them up to a 400 watt SS G&K bass amp and they take one note and die. The only D-130s in steelers amps are in old Standel 25L15 or some other low power amp like the Vibrolux. I'd send you a picture of my MSA SD10 Classic SS except you probably have one yourself and know what they look like. It sounds glorious thru a single E-130 and a Showman. A recent survey on "The Steel Guitar Forum" revealed that something like 75% (if memory serves) of working steelers preferr Solid State amps with over 100 watts. Try that with your 418B. They also preferr the Peavey Black Widow (an Emenence speaker) or guess what? An E or K 130 or two. A bunch of them work stereo with two single speaker cabs.

    All in good fun here Old Guy. Trust me. It's hard enough turning 60 without people thinking I said all guitarists use 15" speakers. Damn few actually, and like you said, mostly steelers.

    I do stand corrected on the LTV thing. I have a 417-8C (great speaker) that says LTV on the back. I have another 417 (no suffix) that has a much cooler looking, not stepped frame, that does not say LTV. I assumed that if it was during the era it would say so. Like Fender amps. First thing CBS did was change the front panel from Fender Musical Instrument Company to CBS blah blah blah.

    I'm having a pair of 418s re-coned to 416s. I think at $234 + shipping for a pair of baskets I already own it's a good deal. Besides I can't afford no 515s.

    Have a good one. Really all in good fun here.
    Last of the World's Great Human Beings, well maybe one of the last? OK, just an ordinary slacker then.

  2. #2
    Hostboard Member
    418B value


    edharbur's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 19th, 2010
    Posts
    62
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 418B value

    Old Guy-

    Thanks for putting out feelers.

    Being strict about accuracy is a fine thing, especially in a venue like this, where opinions can sometimes mistaken for facts.

    As for the 515s - I paid $600 for the pair. GPA wants 117 each for the re-cone, $25 for shipping one way (I've got to pay the second way no matter what) and if you ad in 150 for my 418s, my break even point is $409. This means that I'm spending $191 to upgrade from a speaker that's no too desirable to me (or the world!) to one that is, and that isn't 30 or 40 years old... Doesn't seem too bad.

    Ed

  3. #3
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 418B value

    I enjoy the heck out of my 418Bs, with a half-dozen or so in various boxes. I'm sure part of my affection lies in the fact that I never had to pay over a C-note for a good one.

    What I like best about 'em is their versatility, as they do as well for vocals as guitar.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member
    418B value


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: 418B value

    Quote Originally Posted by airboss View Post
    Hi Old Guy,


    I put a pair of 418Bs in a dual Showman cabinet and ran it with an AB165 for years. They liked it just fine. No sweat on the speakers and they had a nice attack.

    Albert King used a Dual Showman with two D-130s for as long as I was aware. I saw him first time in 1967 at the Carosel Ballroom in San Francisco. Later re-named by Bill Graham as Fillmore West.
    Now, a small wager; you find me one out of a hundred either steelers OR others using 15" guitar speakers who prefer the 418B over the D-130 I'll eat any hat you send me. The reason I mentioned the E and K models is that people blow up D-130s all the time because the damn voice coil will exceed xmax and fry while they try to figure out what happened to the sound. Or they just hook them up to a 400 watt SS G&K bass amp and they take one note and die. The only D-130s in steelers amps are in old Standel 25L15 or some other low power amp like the Vibrolux. I'd send you a picture of my MSA SD10 Classic SS except you probably have one yourself and know what they look like. It sounds glorious thru a single E-130 and a Showman. A recent survey on "The Steel Guitar Forum" revealed that something like 75% (if memory serves) of working steelers preferr Solid State amps with over 100 watts. Try that with your 418B. They also preferr the Peavey Black Widow (an Emenence speaker) or guess what? An E or K 130 or two. A bunch of them work stereo with two single speaker cabs.

    All in good fun here Old Guy. Trust me. It's hard enough turning 60 without people thinking I said all guitarists use 15" speakers. Damn few actually, and like you said, mostly steelers.

    I do stand corrected on the LTV thing. I have a 417-8C (great speaker) that says LTV on the back. I have another 417 (no suffix) that has a much cooler looking, not stepped frame, that does not say LTV. I assumed that if it was during the era it would say so. Like Fender amps. First thing CBS did was change the front panel from Fender Musical Instrument Company to CBS blah blah blah.

    I'm having a pair of 418s re-coned to 416s. I think at $234 + shipping for a pair of baskets I already own it's a good deal. Besides I can't afford no 515s.

    Have a good one. Really all in good fun here.

    Chuck Berry always wanted Bassman heads and double D130's when he came thru

    You really seem to think your experience is way more valid than others though.

    Most of the people you mention probably have never tried a 418.

    Also, why are you comparing a 418b to a K140?

    Or do you not realize there is a 418-8HII that is what you SHOULD be comparing?
    And at 150 watts will handle that amp just fine?

    Why are you skewing everything in favor of the JBL?

    Sounds like you need to look outside.Sorry but it seems you started out claiming the JBL was better, then want to skew the argument to win?

    If I'm wrong, sorry, but that is how you sound to me.

    Compare a D130 to a 418b.

    But later JBL's should be compared to later Altecs.

    And a survey where 90% of the respondents have never used a product can only be so valid.

    And you REALLY need to clean up your "facts"

    The Peavey Black Widow is NOT an Eminence.

    Want proof? I can send you the email address of an Eminence engineer I correspond with.

    Just the facts please.

    You Believe the JBL is better.

    Fine. But it aint a fact it is your opinion.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.